1. ReadItSwapIt is committed to protecting your privacy and maintaining the
security of any personal information received from you. We strictly adhere to
the requirements of the data protection legislation.
The purpose of this statement is to explain to you what personal information we
collect and how we may use it.
2. When you register we need to know your name, address and email address. This
allows us to process and fulfil the swapping process. You have the option to
withhold personal information that is not required for the swap process.
3. With your consent we will use your personal information to update you about
promotions and enhancements to ReadItSwapIt via email. We will never do this
without your consent.
4. We will email you when another user requests to swap with one of your books.
If you have no active books with ReadItSwapIt we will never email you, except
to tell you of essential service updates, as outlined in point 3 above, or if
you request something on the site.
5. We do not sell, rent or exchange your personal information with any third
party for commercial reasons beyond the essential requirement for fulfilling
the swap. We never publish any of your personal information on the site, except
to specific users with whom you have agreed to swap.
6. Fulfillment of the swap requires us to provide another ReadItSwapIt member,
with whom you have agreed to swap, with your name and address. To protect your
privacy you can supply us with only part of your name (for example, your
initial), or use a pseudonym if you wish. We may also provide another member
with your email address if there is a problem with a swap.
7. We follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of
information which you have given us, in order to prevent unauthorised access in
accordance with the UK data protection legislation.
We do not collect sensitive information about you except when you specifically
knowingly provide it. In order to maintain the accuracy of our database, you
can check, update or remove your personal details from the
Update Account Details Page or by emailing us at
We use a technology called “cookies” to enable us to determine whether you are
logged-in to the site at a particular point in time. A cookie is an element of
data that our Website sends to your browser that is then stored on your system.
You can set your browser to prevent this happening but you will be unable to
login to the site if you do so. Any information collected in this way can be
used to uniquely identify you (but not any personal information about you other
than your ReadItSwapIt display name), unless you change your browser setting.
8. We send to your web browser many of the advertisements you see when you use our network of Web sites. However, we also allow other companies, called third-party ad servers or ad networks, to serve advertisements within our web pages. Because your web browser must request these advertising banners from the ad network Web site, these companies can send their own cookies to your cookie file, just as if you had requested a web page from the site. Please note that if an advertiser asks us to show an advertisement to a certain audience (for example, men ages 18-34) or audience segment (for example, men ages 13-24 who have viewed sports content) and you respond to that ad, the advertiser or ad-server may conclude that you fit the description of the audience they are trying to reach. As always, remember we only authorize our third-party ad servers to employ anonymous cookies for ad delivery and anonymous targeting. Our third-party ad servers do not collect, nor do we give them access, to any personally identifying information about you.
9. Opting Out of Third-Party Ad Servers. If you want to prevent a third-party ad server from sending and reading cookies on your computer, currently you must visit each ad network's Web site individually and opt out (if they offer this capability). Currently, we have relationships with the following third-party ad networks (click to visit their Web site):
24/7 Real Media UK, Ltd
10. If you have any questions about privacy, please contact